Saturday 6 January 2007

Luke's family

Roger talks about widening the gene pool, so here's a little background to my husband's family. Luke's father Max Hundleby (author of 'The German A7V Tank') was born in Hogsthorpe, Lincolnshire.

Max's father, William Henry Hundleby was a third generation Lincolnshire thresher. As well as being threshers the family designed and built their own elevators. Max went to University in Hull to study engineering, and met his wife Mary, who was born and brought up in Normanton, South Yorkshire. The couple settled in Lancashire where their two sons Luke and Giles were born and educated.

Luke married me, the daughter of a Shropshire man and a Yorkshire lass, whilst Giles married Kathryn, who comes from the Bristol area. How about that for branching out across England? Giles is an engineer as well, so one could say that the engineering gene has survived five generations and the move away from Lincolnshire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just remenising about Max Hundleby, Mr Hundleby or "Sir" to me was civilian tutor at Chorley 92 Squadron Air Training Corps when I wa a cadet there in the 1980's. I later worked allong side Mr Hundleby as an instructor myself and he had purchaed a small lathe that I had made as a school project in my mid teens. I remeber too his many tales about Air Traffic controll at Manchester, his work as an aerodynamacist at AVRoe, his time as a pilot flying Vampires and Hunters and about his own aircraft collection/museum in Lincolnshire. I have very fond memories of Mr Hundleby and think upon him often, remembering his enthusiasum for aircraft, tanks and model making at which he is quite exceptional. He was very influential on me as a young man and such is his dynamic personality, he seemed to leave a lasting impression on the lives of everyone whom he came into contact with. I expect Mr Hundleby is well avanced in years by now, but would like to offer by best wishes to him and his family. Regards Lloyd Pennington