Friday 15 December 2006

Childhood in B.C.

Hello again from Evelyn. I guess I am 5 years older than you - born in 1944. Used to tease Dad that I was a furlough baby which made him blush. Dad and his brother, Fred and Ed were the twin sons of Ellen Hundleby and Valentine Mackinder. They were born in 1900 and lied about their age in order to join WWII. However, both remained in Canada, my Dad being a Heavy Duty Mechanic and Bandsman.

We always had central heating, Roger, but when I grew old enough and the others had left home I happily went to the basement bedrooms which Dad had built for the older ones and which were not heated. We lived in Cranbrook in the East Kootenays where the temperatures could go to -25F and I used to wake up with frost on the quilt from my breath. It was a mad dash up the stairs, across the enclosed sun porch and into the warm kitchen where Dad had the pot of porridge bubbling on the stove before he left for work.

Anyway, what more news from the two contacts you had from the publicity. The graves in Hemingby will be my Great-grandfather Samuel, his wife Elizabeth and probably some of his children who stayed there in the agricultural machinery business and threshing. I would love to go there when I come in April/May.

We had winds of up to 157kph last night. We are fine, but two trees at our old house blew over and put a large hole in the neighbour's roof. Glad we don't have to pay.

Evelyn

No comments: