Sunday 17 December 2006

Hello from Suzanne

This is my first time as a 'blogger' too. For Roger's benefit (Evelyn, Susan and Janet all 'know' me now!), I was born in Hull, Yorkshire. My grandfather, known to one and all as "Dadda Jim" as that is what my brother called him) was James Ernest Hundleby, b 1884, d 1984. He was a lovely man and very patient with us children.

His father was William Hundleby, b 1851 in Wormegay, Norfolk, and he died in 1908 in Hull. He lived near and was a great friend of Mary Elizabeth (Polly) and Albert Adkins and his son, James Ernest, married their daughter, Mabel. In fact, William is buried in their family grave.

William was a joiner and undertaker (and, my mother, Grace, nee Hundleby, who is now 90 years old, insists, although I can find no evidence, that he was a publican too at The Falcon in Neptune Street. If anyone can help with this I would be very grateful). His father was William Hundleby, b. 1819 in Ashby, Lincolnshire. He moved to Wormegay in Norfolk and married Amelia Emily Nurse (Emily). Unfortunately, he contracted Typhoid Fever and died there in 1854, leaving his wife with three young sons.

I have been playing a small part in the organisation of the Hundleby Convention next year by sending out invitations and receiving the all important cheques! My husband, Tony, and I are really looking forward to meeting everyone in Horncastle in May.

No comments: